The Journal of Women’s History depends on hundreds of anonymous peer reviewers to provide feedback to authors and elevate historical scholarship. The Editors invite specialists in the field to read and review submitted manuscripts, and to provide substantive feedback that will clarify and improve the research in question.
In preparing to review an article for the JWH, the Editors ask that our colleagues address the following :
- Evaluate the originality of the research question and methods. Is this high-caliber research that makes a genuine contribution to the field?
- Evaluate the quality of the analysis. Does the author engage with the relevant scholarly literature? Does the author formulate compelling ideas grounded in relevant theoretical frameworks?
- Address the organization of ideas and clarity of writing.
- Will this article speak to JWH readers? Does the author successfully frame the research to speak to scholars and students in the comparative field of women’s and gender history?
- All submissions are confidential and reviewed blind. We ask that our reviewers please do not discuss submitted articles with a third party.
The Editors of the JWH use the ScholarOne manuscript submission system to solicit and manage all reviews.